ISO/IEC 7816-4:2005 specifies:
- contents of command-response pairs exchanged at the interface,
- means of retrieval of data elements and data objects in the card,
- structures and contents of historical bytes to describe operating characteristics of the card,
- structures for applications and data in the card, as seen at the interface when processing commands,
- access methods to files and data in the card,
- a security architecture defining access rights to files and data in the card,
- means and mechanisms for identifying and addressing applications in the card,
- methods for secure messaging,
- access methods to the algorithms processed by the card. It does not describe these algorithms.
It does not cover the internal implementation within the card or the outside world.
ISO/IEC 7816-4:2005 is independent from the physical interface technology. It applies to cards accessed by one or more of the following methods: contacts, close coupling, and radio frequency.
Status: WithdrawnPublication date: 2005-01
Edition: 2Number of pages: 83
Technical Committee: ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC 17 Cards and security devices for personal identification
- ICS :
- 35.240.15 Identification cards. Chip cards. Biometrics
ISO/IEC 7816-4:1995/Amd 1:1997Withdrawn
ISO/IEC 7816-5:1994/Amd 1:1996Withdrawn
ISO/IEC 7816-6:1996/Amd 1:2000Withdrawn
ISO/IEC 7816-6:1996/Cor 1:1998Withdrawn
ISO/IEC 7816-4:2005Stage: 95.99
Corrigenda / AmendmentsWithdrawn
ISO/IEC 7816-4:2005/Amd 1:2008
Got a question?
Check out our FAQs
+41 22 749 08 88
Monday to Friday - 09:00-12:00, 14:00-17:00 (UTC+1)
Keep up to date with ISO
Sign up to our newsletter for the latest news, views and product information.