ISO/IEC 22092:2002 specifies the mechanical, physical, and optical characteristics of a 130 mm optical disk cartridge (ODC) that employs thermo-magnetic and magneto-optical effects to enable data interchange between such disks.
ISO/IEC 22092:2002 specifies two Types, viz.
Type R/W provides for data to be written, read and erased many time over the recording surface(s) of the disk.
Type WO provides for data once written to be read a multiplicity of times. Data shall not be erased nor amended. Multisession (incremental write operations) recording may be performed on type WO disks.
The disk shall be of the same Type if recorded on both sides, A and B. Each side shall have a nominal capacity of 4,58 Gbytes, irrespective of the Type. The format specifies two sector sizes and allows for emulation of two further sizes.
ISO/IEC 22092:2002 specifies
- the conditions for conformance testing and the Reference Drive;
- the environments in which the cartridges are to be operated and stored;
- the mechanical, physical and dimensional characteristics of the cartridge so as to provide mechanical interchangeability between data processing systems;
- the format of the information on the disk, both embossed and user-written, including the physical disposition of the tracks and sectors, the error correction codes, the modulation methods used;
- the characteristics of the embossed information on the disk;
- the thermo-magnetic and magneto-optical characteristics of the disk, enabling processing systems to write data onto the disk;
- the minimum quality of user-written data on the disk, enabling data processing systems to read data from the disk.
ISO/IEC 22092:2002 provides for interchange between optical disk drives. Together with a standard for volume and file structure it provides for full data interchange between data processing systems.